Wednesday, September 21, 2011

16 Hours Post-Surgery

It is now 3:30am and I have to say I haven't slept. I'm having difficulty getting sleepy and it is not related to pain or the surgery. While I must admit that drinking the "small" cup of coffee earlier took my headache away, and even though it was a small amount, the coffee left my mind going. My mind seems to still be on, while my body is tired. I would have opted for the caffeine from sweet tea earlier, but I'm not sure that would have made a difference in how my body handled the caffeine. At least my headache is gone. And other good news is that my pain level is still at a 2 and there is no less numbness and no more swelling than in my previous update. And thankfully, I am still not experiencing any nausea.

At 2am, I finally took my next dose of Demerol. (This time I went ahead and took 2 Demerol at once, knowing I will need to sleep some between doses, and may not wake up at exactly 4 hours.) I made sure to eat some cheese and crackers this time with my dose and have so far not had any indigestion. I also took my nighttime prescription medications that I am prescribed for another medical problem I have (unrelated to my feet) and expect that the side effects from the nighttime medication will make me drowsy soon. I can only hope!! [And I also make a note to self: Drink coffee earlier in the day tomorrow to ward off any headache and prevent myself from being awake so late into the night...]

I will check back soon and give you an update!

~Laura.

No comments:

Post a Comment