Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Austin Bunionectomy - Pre-op, Surgery and Recovery

  Hello, my name is Laura. I'm 34 years old and have suffered from bunion pain for the last 6+ years. In Merriam-Webster's medical dictionary, a bunion is described as an inflamed swelling of the small fluid-filled sac on the first joint of the big toe accompanied by enlargement and protrusion of the joint. I have bunions on both of my feet which at different times has caused me great pain. After seeing my podiatrist, he suggested I would need surgery to correct the bunions and relieve the pain I was feeling.

I am creating this blog to help others who may be considering surgery for their bunions. I have no medical training and I highly recommend consulting several knowledgeable professionals before you make a decison about surgery. Though surgery was the option I chose, there are other options to help bunion pain and contacting a podiatrist would be your first step.

I have already had surgery to correct the bunion on my left foot, 3 weeks prior to this blog. The surgery was successful and has healed well up until this point. I am now going to have surgery on my right foot. This blog will give you an idea of what the surgery (pre-op, during surgery and post-op) and recovery was like for me.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the helpful info. I am preparing to have the same surgery on Friday. A little frightened but some good tips fromyou. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete